Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How I got here..... part 1

I say part 1, because I'm sure there will be more to follow. 

How I got here - obviously, I have a bit of a weight issue.  I have tried and been successful (and failed) at many different diet plans (weight watchers, medifast, Jenny Craig, etc.).  About 5 years ago, I was at my highest weight.  I haven't told many people the actual number..... but here it is ...... 317.  Wow, that is so sad to even type.  Well at that time, I was still a bit younger, had a bit of energy, no tiny kids at home... and was in a fairly happy place in my life.  I joined the gym, and got a personal trainer.  I also signed up and paid a fortune for a weight loss program that within a year went bankrupt.  However, I did get the kick start I needed to lose weight.  I truly had the greatest trainer, who now has his own business and has done very well for many people.  Within a year or two I had dropped down to 242 and was much healthier.  I had plenty of energy and was feeling better. 

Then I got lazy again.  Financial reasons and family changes kept me from getting to the gym and to my trainer.  I went right back into eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  Well, of course that didn't go so well.  Then, I got divorced and remarried :)  Well that will make anyone happy enough to eat!  If not, get pregnant too... that will for sure do it! 

So as the little one was approaching two, I knew I had to do something in order to LIVE.  With family members who have heart disease and diabetes, I knew that I needed to get my body in shape.  I have several children that I want to LIVE for, not just be here for.  I hope that makes sense to all of you. I need the pain I'm experiencing to go away, and I NEED to have energy! 

In January 2013 I started with thinking about the Lap Band.... well after going to a seminar, I quickly learned it wasn't for me.  Not only was the office filthy, the Dr. unkept, but they wanted to charge an additional $4000.00 above what my husbands insurance would pay.  No thanks!

So, I was then referred through Kaiser to their bariatric program and attended the orientation.  Great information from that first classroom experience.  I signed up to begin the classes that following Tuesday, which began my 12 week prep work!  

..... if there is to be a part 2, I'd better stop there for now :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment